The 1884 Caviedas Petition
In 1884, Fr. Ramon Caviedas, a Franciscan friar, and the town officials, petitioned the City Hall of Manila for permission to build a new town cemetery. In their petition, they explained that the parishioners needed relief in the difficulty, if not the costs, of having to bury the dead of Sampaloc in the far burials grounds of La Loma cemetery. More importantly, they cited the hills of Balic-Balic as the closest and safest place for burials since the place is not prone to flooding and quite distant from the poblacion.