A Parish Erected from the Remains of A Cemetery: 1925
The silence of a closed cemetery was broken around 1925 when “parroquia de Balic-balic” was erected. Fragments of a page from the baptismal book show the sacrament being performed as early as May 24, 1925.
The newly married residents of Balic-Balic, Don Benito Legarda and Doña Trinidad Legarda played a big role in establishing a separate parochial identity for Balic-Balic. Being the hacienda owners where the cemetery land was located, they worked with Archbishop Michael O’Doherty of Manila so that Sunday masses could be celebrated at the funerary chapel. They took the lead in conducting probably the first parish fund-raising activity so that a new church could be built. A famous architect, Juan Arellano, submitted a plan but lack of funds, especially from the Archdiocese of Manila, allowed only some minor renovations to be done to the old dilapidated funerary chapel.